This was a GREAT Christmas! Even though it was our first Christmas without Granda, he was definitely here with us - I could just feel him when we were all laughing with family, reading from the bible, and singing hymns at church. Christmas was always such a special time to him, I really think that's why he held out one more day when it was his time to go to heaven - He wanted to be here for one last Christmas. I still miss him so much but especially this time of year. He was always a special part of my childhood Christmas fun!
MimR (G.G.) and Kevin came and stayed at Mom and Dad's house. T.J. could not remember Kevin's name and kept calling him "that guy". I finally asked him, "What is that guy's name?" He said "James", then he argued with me about his name being James not Kevin, so we just started calling Kevin - James Guy - It's a "had to be there" kind-of story, but it was pretty funny and I have a feeling that name with probably stick - sorry, Kevin!!
Mim stayed at our house for a couple of days. She taught me how to make Chicken and Dumplins' - her specialty!! T.J. slept with her in the guest room (AKA: Mikey's room) and he was SO upset when she moved back over to Mom and Dad's on Christmas night. He sure wanted her to stay with us! It was her first Christmas without Granda, and I hope it was as special for her as I know it was for all of us.
T.J.'s montessori school had a Christmas party and short program where they performed songs for all of the parents. I'm proud to say we did MUCH better than the Halloween program. He stayed up in front of everyone the entire time - he didn't sing a word, mind you, but he did not fall down and pretend to be dead, so I consider that a success. Who knows? Maybe the next program he'll actually sing!
T.J. got more presents than he could have ever imagined - the joy of being the only grandchild on my side of the family! His favorite was his puppy tent that he got from Meme & PawPaw. He loved to open up the mouth flap and scare everybody - he also got a "sleepy bag" and a bear pillow (sleeping bag from G.G. and bear pillow from Mim) and slept in his tent that night.
He also got a Spiderman Web Slinger from Santa. He had been talking about that thing for months! It shoots out a "web" aka, silly string, but also had a water bottle attachment where it turns into a sort-of water gun. At Meme & PawPaw's house, T.J. asked for a towel and was squirting down the windows and then wiping them off - too funny! If he wasn't also drinking some of the water, I would be VERY tempted to fill that thing up with window cleaner and put him to work around the house!
He also got a cash register that he loves!! It has bills, coins, and even a coupon and credit card that you can scan. He set up his own little "store" in PawPaw's office where he was a "workin' man". We would come in and buy things, but he only likes scanning the credit card - no cash. Oh great - what do I have to look forward to?? :-)
After all of our Christmas festivities were winding down T.J., Jeffy, and I all walked down to the park near my parents house and fed the ducks. It was really fun to walk down there with T.J. on his Daddy's shoulders, and Jeff and I holding hands and just thinking about how lucky we are to have our family and how fun this holiday was. T.J. did not enjoying feeding the ducks as much as he enjoyed chasing off the geese. One goose kept coming up close to us and hissing. Jeff took off his hat and shooed the goose away. As soon as T.J. saw that, he was WAY more interested in chasing off geese than feeding them. He was so funny - just running back and forth yelling at these birds and swinging Jeff's hat at them! It was a great end to a great Christmas day - just the three of us enjoying spending some "quiet" time together. I feel so lucky!

What a beautiful story, Lara, and what wonderful memories for all of you! Love you, Hunna/Carol
ReplyDelete