Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Independence Day



For the Fourth of July weekend, we met all of Jeff's side of the family at Memaw's lakehouse on Lake LBJ. We left on Thursday and set off for the 6 hour drive to Memaw's. Halfway, we stopped in San Angelo and combined with Mike, Shelly, Drew, and all of the kids into 2 cars instead of 3. It is amazing how much junk we needed with all of the 5 cousins between groceries, life jackets, clothes, and every swimming toy available! T.J. outdid himself on the trip - he was a great traveler. He saved up all of his getting in trouble for when we got there (You know, in front of everyone he has to put on quite the fits!)

We had a GREAT time! It's always good to see Memaw and Aunt Glo, and it was the first time we had seen Steve and Karen since they returned from the "Australia - Trip of a Lifetime Tour". They had goodie bags for each of us and, Mel, Tim Tams are really good, but Vegimite is AWFUL!! Apparently this is something that people in Australia put on toast and eat all the time. It is the worst thing I think I have ever tasted - must be an acquired taste that none of us here in America have acquired.

We got to all go out on the boat and jetski, and had a great time! I do have to say that I think everyone would agree that the fireworks show was the best part of the whole weekend. They put on a fireworks show right across the lake from Memaw's house and it is like the show is just put on for us! We all got out some chairs and blankets and sat in the grass in the yard and watched the GREAT show. I was really amazed at what a show it was - much more than I had expected!! Then, we all ate watermelon and watched Jeff and Mike race these 2 little bicycle/rowboat things - that was TOO funny!! What a bunch of kids! Of course, the best man won (I'll let you decide which one that was!)

We went to visit Minnie while we were there and Shelly, Kaylin, and I got to stand in the longest grocery store line I have ever seen. That's what we get for going to the only grocery store in the area on the Fourth of July - nice planning on our part.

The whole trip was a blast, but we all agreed that the saying that "Fish and Family start to stink after 3 days" is oh-so-true!! Spending long days out in the sun with 5 kids is exhausting. There always seems to be at least one of them throwing a fit or fighting with another cousin over some silly thing (About 90% of the time, I think T.J. was that kid!) It is always obvious which one is the only child. Siblings sure teach you how to share, and we have yet to master that!! We were all ready to get back home by Sunday but made some precious family memories that we will never forget!! We got a great picture of the 5 cousins all on Mikey's jetski - the first one we have with all 5 looking at the camera and smiling : ) I also loved the other picture of T.J. watching the firecrackers - he was so amazed!

4 comments:

  1. I love it!! Hope you are able to keep it up. I try to just make time on Sunday evenings and possibly one day in the week to blog at night before bed. You'll love it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see recent photos and read up to the minute (day? week? month?) news. You didn't know you'd have such a following, did you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on board to follow the Nelsons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lara!
    I'm looking forward to reading all your posts! Glad you had a great 4th of July. Hopefully you will enjoy blogging and find time to keep it up. I think the last time I wrote on my blog was last December! I guess I'd rather spend any free time reading all my friends stuff than writing about our boring little life here in Hutto.

    ReplyDelete